Green Bonds Market Summary - Q1 2018
Green bond issuance kept a good pace in 2018’s first quarter with 71 green bonds coming from 52 issuers, totalling USD25.8bn.
Developed markets issued USD17.4bn, with a third of the volume coming from two Belgian deals: Belgium’s sovereign Green OLO and logistics company WDP’s green bond.
Issuance from emerging markets (including supra-nationals) is increasing, representing 32% of quarterly issuance compared to just 15% in Q1 2017.
Sovereigns played a central role, accounting for approximately a third of quarterly issuance in both developed and emerging markets. This trend is set to continue in the coming quarters.
- USD25.8bn of issuance
- 71 green bond issues* with 11 from Sweden, 10 from China and 9 from the USA
- 52 issuers from 21 countries
- 25 market entrants from 12 countries bring the total number of green bond issuers to 440
- 2 new countries – Iceland and Indonesia – bring the number of “green bond” countries to 47
- 2 new issuers – Indonesia and Belgium – bring the number of sovereign green bond issuers to 6
- March issuance was strong with 27 deals in 10 countries and 17 new issuers (7 from China)
2017 green bond issue volume revised to USD160.8bn