Produced in partnership with HSBC, and supported by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) and the Hong Kong Green Finance Association (HKGFA), Climate Bonds Initiative’s second Hong Kong Briefing Paper examines a range of green bond deals from domestic issuers, and for the first time assesses their post-issuance disclosure. The Briefing also analyses market dynamics from a broader perspective including green bond deals arranged in Hong Kong, reflecting its increasing role as a green and sustainable finance hub for the region.
- Green bonds from Hong Kong issuers in 2019 totalled USD2.6bn from 6 issuers, down 5% from 2018 volume
- Cumulative issuance has reached USD7.1bn overall
- Market saw the HKSAR Government’s inaugural green bond issuance and most diverse use of proceeds
- Low-carbon buildings dominated use of proceeds at record high of 61% of green issuance
- 85% of issuance has at least one type of external review
- 81% of HK green bonds carry post-issuance disclosure
- Green bonds arranged and issued in HK as a financial centre comprised USD 10bn in 2019 (according to HKMA methodology)