This is the 3rd iteration of our Post-Issuance Reporting in the Green Bond Market Series.
Post-issuance reporting on the use of proceeds (UoP) is a core component of the Green Bond Principles (GBP), the Green Loan Principles (GLP) and the Climate Bonds Standard (CBS). Issuers that are effectively reporting on the environmental impacts of funded projects ensure the transparency and accountability underpins the credibility of the green bonds and loans.
The report provides an in-depth review of green bond reporting, shedding light on post-issuance reporting practices and identifying avenues for further improvement in this space. The analysis is based on a review of green bonds included in the Climate Bonds Green Bond Database issued between Q4’17 and Q1’19, with the bulk of the research conducted in mid-2020.
Reporting is commonplace, but our report also explores opportunities for improvement. Key Findings:
- 77% of issuers representing 88% of the amount issued provided UoP reporting
- Drops to 59% of issuers and 74% of the amount for impacts
- 57% of issuers and 73% of the amount have both UoP and impact reporting
- Amount issued shares higher as larger issuers more likely to report
- Reporting share has increased versus early stages of the market (especially on impacts) and also in recent years, albeit by a smaller margin
The report was launched via Webinar and here is the launch in case you missed it: