Director, Advisory Services
Manuel is an expert in institutional responsible investing. He is a frequent speaker and moderator at large high-level conferences as well as smaller roundtable working sessions. He has contributed to numerous publications in international and Dutch retail and institutional media, both mainstream and specialised, by interview or through his own submissions. Manuel’s bi-weekly column on the popular Dutch investor news site IEX.nl attracts more than 5,000 readers on average. A selected set of publications / speaking engagements can be found below.
Manuel has a deep understanding of climate-related investment risks and opportunities, with a focus on green / climate bonds. He is particularly interested in questions around ‘green integrity’. Manuel seeks ways to secure market integrity at reasonable cost but with maximum benefits for both the environment as well as issuers and investors. Further, Manuel has strong views on the questions of additionality and new vs re-financing.
Until early 2015, Manuel had served as Head of ESG-research / Responsible Investing at Dutch EUR 55 bln asset manager ACTIAM for seven years. He now supports the company as a Special Advisor. While at ACTIAM, Manuel secured CIO approval to commit EUR 1 bln to green / climate bonds. In a very short period of time, Manuel brought his company international market credibility as a major climate bonds buyer and thought leader. He still speaks and publishes on behalf of ACTIAM. Further, Manuel is an (alternate) member on the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative’s (EITI) International Board, representing 90 investors globally worth USD 19 trillion.
Earlier in his career, Manuel had worked with Fortis, at the time a major international bank-assurance company. He had initiated and implemented a climate strategy for carbon neutrality on a global scope, including business opportunities like carbon and green banking. This had led to inclusion in the Carbon Disclosure Project’s Climate Leadership Index.
Manuel is a German citizen living in the Netherlands. He holds an MSc in Economics / International Management from Maastricht University, and has also studied at Université de Montréal in Canada and at Aachen University in Germany.
- The Sustainable and Responsible Capital Markets Forum 2015, Euromoney, Paris, 17 September 2015
- Eurosif Green Bond Policy Seminar, Eurosif/Vigéo, Bruxelles, 15 September 2015
- RBI Green Bond Conference, Raiffeisen Bank International, Vienna, 11 September 2015
- Sustainable Bond Forum, ICO / Crédit Agricole CIB / HSBC, Madrid, 2 July 2015
- Green Bonds – a workshop to discuss the need for criteria, WWF / ACTIAM / CBI, London, 23 June 2015
- The Sustainable & Social Impact Investing Conference, GTQ & SI Partners, London, 18 June 2015
- Global Green Bond Forum, IRR, London, 29 April 2015
- EMEA DCM & Treasury Conference, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, London, 5 March 2015
- Sustainability Bonds Conference; Crédit Agricole, Paris, 4 December 2014
- Euromoney Sustainable & Responsible Capital Markets Forum; Euromoney, London, 11 September 2014
- Environmental Bonds 2014: Opportunities for Investors; Environmental Finance, London, 23 June 2014
- Climate Bonds: Sorting the wood from the trees; Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change and The Climate Bonds Initiative, London, 1 April 2014
- Klimaat en energieafhankelijkheid van Rusland – beleggers kunnen helpen, M. Adamini, Pensioen Pro, No. 3, March 2015
- The climate bond market in need of standards – maybe even a small range of them?; M. Adamini, Responsible Investor Insight, Special Issue No. 6 - October 2014
- Sustainable and responsible capital markets: What is a green bond, and who should decide?; Jon Hay (based on an interview), Global Capital, September 2014
- Verantwoord beleggen - tijd om de kinderschoenen te ontgroeien!; M. Adamini, Prof. Dr. H. Hummels, VBA Beleggingsprofessionals Journaal, series 30 / no. 118 / summer 2014
- The Netherlands Lead with Responsible Investing; R. Revesz (based on an interview), ETF.com, 10 April 2014
- Is een beetje kernwapens maken ook fout?; M. Adamini, Trouw, 25 March 2014
- The serious problem of Nigerian oil theft - Good Luck, Jonathan; M. Adamini, D. Diamond, Responsible Investor, 28 October 2013
- Verantwoord Beleggen ook Morele Verplichting; M. Adamini, D. van der Putten, New Financial Magazine, 2013 / II
- G8 succes voor transparantie in delfstoffen; M. Adamini, Investment & Pensions Netherlands, 26 June 2013
- This week’s new EU extractives transparency rules will be good for investors; S. Giezeman, M. Adamini, Responsible Investor, 12 April 2013
- De belegger laat zijn stem horen; M. Adamini, Bank- en Effectenbedrijf, September 2012
- Alle ogen zijn nu gericht op Griekenland; C. Banning (based on an interview), NRC Handelsblad, 12 September 2011
- Bommen en granaten; Y. Janssen, M. Adamini, Investments & Pensions Netherlands, August / September 2011
- Verantwoord beleggen in wapens?; Y. Janssen, M. Adamini, Bank- en Effectenbedrijf, December 2010
- Jonge bankiers willen weer trots zijn op hun vak; R. Giebels (based on an interview), De Volkskrant, 31 March 2010
- Nederlandse Bank moet wijzer zijn; W. Scheepens, M. Adamini, Financieel Dagblad, 8 September 2009