Role: Standards Specialist - Green Buildings
Location: London Bridge
Salary: £40,000-£45,000 depending on experience
Position: Full Time
Closing date: Wednesday 23rd August, 2019
About the Climate Bonds Initiative
The Climate Bonds Initiative (CBI) is an investor-focused not-for-profit working to mobilise the $100 trillion global bond market for climate change solutions. The organisation is leading the development of climate finance solutions with global stakeholders: governments, investors, banks and large companies. Our main work streams are green bond standards and certification, green bond data and market analysis, policy analysis, green capital markets development, communications and advocacy. CBI is a great place to work, with a dynamic international team of experts. More information on the Climate Bonds Initiative can be found at www.climatebonds.net
Investor demand for Green Bonds & Climate Bonds is strong and is expected to increase in line with the delivery of quality products into the market. Standards, assurance & certification are essential to improve confidence and transparency, and further strong growth in the market. The Climate Bonds Standard & Certification Scheme delivers this. Underpinning the Certification Scheme is a set of clear ‘green definitions’ and green Criteria that assets need to meet in order to be eligible for inclusion in a Certified Climate Bond.
We are now seeking a Specialist - Green Buildings to join our Standards Team and be the focal point for providing CBI’s expertise and partnerships within the green buildings space, shepherd the continuous development of the Buildings Criteria under the Climate Bonds Standard, and engage with the financial market and other green buildings initiatives.
The Specialist will ensure that the Buildings Criteria reflect a scientific consensus on green buildings definitions and market needs. She/he will also design and execute a market education and engagement programme to encourage more investment into the green buildings space and build up collaborative partnerships across the buildings and finance sectors. Reporting to the Standards Manager, our ideal candidate is someone who is keenly interested in the technologies, infrastructure, and processes that will rapidly transition the global economy along a zero-carbon trajectory.
- Review and recalibrate the Climate Bonds Standard Buildings Criteria through a systematic analysis of key challenges and lessons learned and convening of the Technical Working Group (TWG) and Industry Working Group (IWG) on a regular basis.
- Create an updated suite of reference and marketing materials for those Buildings Criteria.
- Work with external consultants to continuously expand the Criteria baselines and proxies.
- Develop and integrate climate resilience and other green buildings aspects into the existing Criteria in collaboration with the CBI teams working on Adaptation and Resilience guiding Principles and on international green buildings taxonomies.
- Identify funding opportunities and develop proposals focusing on expanding the scope and application of the Criteria for buildings and associated areas, e.g. built environment.
- Manage all buildings-related projects and report regularly to the Standards Manager.
- Formalise new partnerships with a range of stakeholders and work closely with the partnerships and policy teams to develop join proposals and concept notes.
- Lead outreach activities related to low carbon and resilient buildings, representing CBI’s goals and building networks and partnerships.
- Engage in discussions with other Standard setting bodies and platforms related to buildings.
- Participate in discussions with bond issuers and verifiers, prepare communication material, and undertake other external engagement to support certification.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Degree in engineering, environmental science or other relevant discipline with postgraduate studies preferred
- Deep technical knowledge of climate science and latest solutions for low carbon, climate resilient and green buildings
- More than 5 years’ experience in green and low carbon buildings and in project management
- Strong record of developing partnerships, winning funds, and leading outreach activities
- Evidence of expertise in preparing reports and other publications
- Ability to produce engaging thought leadership pieces for different audiences
- Business focused with professional attitude and client engagement experience
- Presentation skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities and work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent command of English; a second language will be an advantage
- Knowledge of financial markets, especially fixed income instruments, will be an advantage
- Eligible to work in the UK
Please submit your CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role in PDF format, with your name in the file name, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates invited for an interview might be asked to undertake a writing test.